The Big Countdowns...

Lilypie Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sunday, November 15, 2009

My Favorite Christmas Decoration


I look forward to Christmas every year. From December 26th until the next Christmas I think about what I’m going to do, who I’m going to see, the decorations, the presents. I love decorating for Christmas and seeing the excitement in my kids’ eyes as they see the tree go up. Of all the things I love to put out at Christmastime, I love putting out my nativity the most.

I started out with a small inexpensive nativity that I faithfully displayed each year. In 2008, my husband and my mother started the Willow Tree Angel nativity set for me. It is so simple and beautiful and because of its simplicity it is a true representation of our Savior’s birth. Don’t get me wrong, the birth of Jesus was truly a miraculous event, but I like to think of it from an ordinary, human standpoint. A stable, Mary and Joseph, and a few animals. God sent his Son down to Earth as a human being. A baby human being at that - completely helpless. It’s kind of ironic that the most powerful being in the universe had his humble beginnings as a baby born in a barn.

I think about the feelings Mary and Joseph must have had as they went through the whole pregnancy and birth. I think back to my own pregnancies and childrens’ births. How excited and anxious I was the entire nine months. I think of how Mary must have felt throughout most of her pregnancy. The fear that Joseph would leave her... The fear of being shunned by her community.... I like to think that as the time of Jesus’ birth neared Mary did get to allow herself to feel the excitement as her time approached and as she felt the baby moving inside her.

Again, thinking back on my own experiences I think of the fear I had when I was in labor. I think of how afraid I was even though I had trained professionals all around me. Mary and Joseph were pretty much on their own. I’d like to think maybe a woman from Bethlehem heard that there was a young girl in a barn about to give birth and maybe that woman went to help Mary and be a comfort to her. I think of when I was handed my baby all wrapped up and I remember the feelings of pain and fear just melting away and turning into pure joy and contentment.

Even though Jesus was the Son of God, he was Mary’s baby boy. I wonder how she felt as Joseph handed over that tiny baby to her. Did she unwrap him, as I did my own babies, and look at him from head to toe? Did she comment on all of his hair (or lack of…) Did she place her finger in the palm of his tiny hand and feel him grab hold tightly? Did she count those little fingers and toes to make sure they were all there? I’m sure she did. It’s hard not to be in complete awe when you hold your newborn baby for the very first time.

I also think about Joseph. What a man he was. I can see him holding Mary’s hand and comforting her through her fear and pain as she gave birth. I can see him taking that brand new baby and wrapping him up tightly so that he would not get cold. I can see him hesitating for just a moment before handing the baby to Mary, thinking that although this wasn’t his son in the traditional way, it was his son in every way that really counted.

I think about this new family’s humble beginning in that little stable and it makes me slow down and really appreciate the things I have around the holiday season. As I set out each piece of my nativity I will recount the story of Jesus’ birth to my own children so that they will understand exactly why Momma loves this holiday so much!

4 comments:

Camera Clicker said...

Great post! I love that Nativity set too, although I don't own it.

Oh...and FANTASTIC song. It's got to be one of my top 10 favorite songs, and "I talked to Him this morning...." is one of the best lines from any song!

Ashley Bourque said...

that's funny Susan...that's my favorite line of the song as well! It gives me the goosebumps when I hear it. Sometimes I open my blog in the mornings when I'm getting ready just so the song plays!

Crystal said...

Beautiful post Ashley!! It almost made me cry!! A mother's love is a powerful thing!!! I too often think of Mary and it comforts me to know that she shares in all of the joys and fears that every mother experiences.

Payton's mom said...

Such a great post, how did I miss untill now! I love that nativity set. I have wanted it for years but I have never gotten it!